Health Information Management
Transform data into valuable information. With this 76-week Health Information Management diploma program, you can positively impact the quality of Canadian healthcare.
Program OutlineView Outline
About The Program
Upon completing this Health Information Management program, you will be able to assess patient record data and code or edit them using health information standards, classifications, and abstracting systems.
Our Health Information Management courses will teach you about medical terminologies, abbreviations, and acronyms; medical diagnoses and interventions; and the Canadian coding and abstracting standards. With an opportunity to enhance your computer skills, you can ensure accurate, consistent, and timely health information collection.
- Health Information Management Supervisor
- Medical Records Unit Supervisor
- Health Records Technician
- Health Information Management Technician
- Health Information Management Practitioner
Employers Who Have Hired triOS Grads
- Hospital for Sick Children
- University Health Network
- Home and Community Care Support Services (formerly LHIN)
- Trillium Health Partners
- Cancer Care Ontario
- Canadian Red Cross
- Canadian Mental Health Association
NOC Code: 1252/12111 - **Wage data rounded down to the nearest dollar. Average wage doesn't reflect the starting salary but represents the middle value between lowest to highest wages. Local (or regional) income may vary. Last updated in March 2023.
With the continuous technological evolution of health information tools, more efficient ways to manage patient information flourish. And now that electronic health records (EHRs) have been replacing the traditional (paper-based) ones, the work of Health Information Management (HIM) professionals has become more essential and challenging than ever.
This HIM program will give you the knowledge and skills you need to effectively code, manage, and interpret patient data. Not only will you take classes in statistics, coding and classification, and database management, but you will also equip yourself with skills in Microsoft Applications, student success, and career management. Plus, the 12-week internship can mold you to confidently address real-world problems and provide you with valuable work experience and opportunities to meet potential employers.
As a student of this program, you will receive:
- a 2-year Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA) Student Membership
- access to the latest databases and Canadian Coding Standards from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI)
- continued use of EHRGO Software throughout the program (This education software has been designed to provide simulated case studies for students in healthcare programs.)
- coding and abstracting experience on WinRecs software for health information departments
- ongoing interaction with CHIMA through student membership and educational events
- preparation to take the National Certification Examination (NCE) through CHIMA upon successful completion of the program
triOS College developed this program in accordance with the 2022 CHIMA curriculum and accreditation standards for HIM.
- have an Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent OR
- be at least 18 years old on or before the program begins AND pass a qualifying test that has been approved by the Superintendent (The approved qualifying test for this program is the Wonderlic test with a required passing score of 18.)
If you completed high school in a non-English speaking jurisdiction, you are required to take an English proficiency test through one of the following options:
- IELTS – minimum score of 6.5 with no subject test score lower than 6
- TOEFL – 79 overall
Take a quick and easy quiz to find out more about yourself, your goals, and identify your strengths and social style. This quiz gives you suggestions for what career areas you might consider based on your likes and preferences. Give it a try now!