Personal Support Worker
Join a rapidly growing industry with high employment opportunities as an essential healthcare worker in just 31 weeks.
As a PSW, there is flexibility when it comes to choosing your path in the industry. Although a majority of these professionals work for private and not-for-profit home care agencies, others are employed by nursing homes and hospitals. There is also the option to be your own boss and work self-employed.
Employers Who Have Hired triOS Grads
- Paramed Home Health Care
- Assisted Living Southwestern Ontario
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Revera Home Health
- Von Canada
- Chartwell Retirement Residence
- Canadian Red Cross
- Responsive Group
*Note that some career options may require advanced degrees, further training or experience.
*Employment Rate based on 2018 contactable triOS graduates employed in a related field.
NOC Code: 4412, 3413 - **Wage data rounded down to the nearest dollar. Local (or regional) income may vary. Last updated on Dec. 15, 2019.
Do you want to start your career in the growing healthcare industry? Are you passionate about helping people care for their emotional and physical well-being? If so, the Personal Support Worker program at triOS College will set you up for a successful future.
A Personal Support Worker (PSW) provides assistance in routine living activities such as: mobility, personal care and hygiene, ongoing medical conditions, and the management of household activities. As a trained PSW, you may look after patients in a home, hospital, and/or long-term care facility.
The Personal Support Worker program delivers strong administrative and clinical skills and knowledge, the skills necessary to implement theories on topics such as cognitive and mental health issues and brain injuries, and the know-how to assist with patients’ medications. The completion of the in-class courses is followed by a 12-week clinical placement where you’ll get hands-on experience in the field.
Students enrolled in this program will receive:
- Clinical work placement in a community and long-term care facility.
- National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) curriculum that maps to the Ontario provincial-approved training standard.
- Classrooms that simulate real-world healthcare setting, including hospital beds, wheelchairs and other required equipment.
- Software subscriptions for Microsoft Office and Windows included in the tuition fee.
CPR and First Aid
Student Success Strategies
– High school graduation diploma, or Mature Student Status (for more information please refer to the Program Outline at the top of this page or speak to your Education Consultant)
– Completion of a Technical Literacy Examination to determine fluency in English
– Clear Police Check including a Vulnerable Sector check
– Up-to-date medical certificate indicating current immunization and free from communicable diseases
Sean’s experience with remote learning
Going into the program, I really didn’t have any expectations. I had no idea that we would be sitting in essentially a virtual classroom. I didn’t know that we would have an actual live teacher. I am grateful that they decided to have an actual teacher. It made my experience much more like a classroom than an individual isolated learning experience
The Personal Support Worker program helped equip me for a successful career in my field. The combination of in-class practice and theory helped me to develop a deep understanding of not only how to be a PSW, but a great PSW. I am thankful that trios college has a comfortable, engaging, accepting, patient, and supportive environment and staff.