Personal Support Worker
Be a key support system to those in need by pursuing education in this leading field.
As a PSW, there is flexibility when it comes to choosing your path in the industry. Although a majority of these professionals work for private and not-for-profit home care agencies, others are employed by nursing homes and hospitals. There is also the option to be your own boss and work self-employed.
Employers Who Have Hired triOS Grads
- Paramed Home Health Care
- Assisted Living Southwestern Ontario
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Revera Home Health
- Von Canada
- Chartwell Retirement Residence
- Canadian Red Cross
*Note that some career options may require advanced degrees, further training or experience.
*Employment Rate based on 2018 contactable triOS graduates employed in a related field.
NOC Code: 4412, 3413 - **Wage data rounded down to the nearest dollar. Local (or regional) income may vary. Last updated on Dec. 15, 2019.
Do you want to be a part of the growing healthcare industry? Are you passionate about helping people look after their emotional and physical well-being? If so, the Personal Support Worker program at triOS College will set you up for a successful future.
A personal support worker (PSW) provides assistance in routine living activities such as: mobility, personal care and hygiene, ongoing medical conditions, and the management of household activities. As a trained personal support worker, you may look after patients in a home, hospital, and/or long-term care facility.
If you want to play a part in providing optimal healthcare to patients in need, then the Personal Support Worker program will set your foundations with strong administrative and clinical skills and knowledge. By the end of this course, you will have effective communication, be able to implement theories on topics such as cognitive and mental health issues and brain injuries, and assist with patients’ medications. The completion of the in-class courses is followed by a clinical placement to get hands-on experience in the field.
Students enrolled in this program will receive:
- Opportunity to be part of the Revera Partnership Program*.
- Clinical work placement in a community and long-term care facility.
- National Association of Career Colleges (NACC) curriculum that maps to the Ontario provincial-approved training standard.
- Classrooms that simulate real-world healthcare setting, including hospital beds, wheelchairs and other required equipment.
- Software subscriptions for Microsoft Office and Windows included in the tuition fee.
CPR and First Aid
Student Success Strategies
– High school graduation diploma, or Mature Student Status (18+ years of age and passing grade Academic Achievement Assessment)
– Completion of a Technical Literacy Examination to determine fluency in English
– Clear Police Check including a Vulnerable Sector check
– Up-to-date medical certificate indicating current immunization and free from communicable diseases
I was skeptical of going back to school after being off for so many years but after coming to trios and meeting all the wonderful and friendly staff, I’m glad I did. If you are thinking of going to college DON'T hesitate and come try triOS. YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID!!!